[Surprise shows, sold-out shows, showy shows – this weekend, I’ll recap the Friday, Saturday and Sunday show offerings on separate posts:]
Big night in the city:
‣ Arcade Fire performs at a to-be-disclosed location. See previous post.
‣ Fool’s Gold plays the Skybar at the Mondrian Hotel – RSVP required – and the L.A. Afro-pop outfit will be debuting some new music.
‣Red-hot Chicagoans Smith Westerns headline the sold-out Echo, with North London quartet Yuck (that’s their video for “Holing Out,” above) and L.A. Therapies Son opening.
‣Big Boi and Cee Lo team up at a sold-out Club Nokia.
‣ Har Mar Superstar and Marijuana Deathsquads continue their Friday residency at the Satellite.
‣ Stones Throw Records’ new signing the Stepkids play Freak City (6363 Hollywood Blvd.)
‣ And I hear there’s a secret show at Bardot featuring a pop star named after a planet.
There’s plenty more:
Mike Watt & His Secondmen and Jr. Juggernaut at the Redwood Bar
Dead Country at the Roxy
Nobunny at the 6th Street Warehouse (RSVP required)
Johnny O’Donnell & Sacramento at the Show Cave
Super Duper and Black Crystal Wolf Kids at the Central SAPC in Santa Monica
Murder By Death and the Builders and the Butchers at the Echoplex
ALO at the Troubadour
The Aquabats at the Music Box
The Pretty Reckless at the El Rey Theatre
Grupo Fantasma at the Mint
Alpine Decline at Pehrspace
Dreamtapes at Lot 1 Cafe
Linda Good and Quazar and the Bamboozled at the Old Towne Pub in Pasadena
Killola at the Bootleg Theater
Devon & the Crazy Heart’s at Molly Malone’s
Magick Orchids at the Smell
Skin Mask and Holy Angel Fire at the Viper Room
The Ditty Bops at McCabe’s