Bands who were all dressed up for Sunset Junction and now have nowhere to go scrambled to find other gigs this week in the wake of the festival’s cancellation. Talent buyers with holes in their weekend schedules suddenly have myriad options. Here’s what’s on our radar (Thursday morning updates in red, Thursday afternoon updates in green:
- Art Brut (pictured) is headlining an early show, at 5 p.m. Saturday, at the Satellite. Downtown Lobby reports Art Vs Science and the Hundred Days will support..
- Butthole Surfers and 400 Blows are confirmed for a show Saturday at the Echoplex. (The Dntel show has been moved upstairs to the Echo.)
- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Charles Bradley and Hands have been confirmed to play Sunday at the Echoplex.
- Helmet has booked a show at the Viper Room on Saturday night, according to TicketWeb.
- Dangerbird Records will be doing something akin to a SXSW day party at the label’s headquarters in Silver Lake. The event will be co-hosted by 98.7 FM and Buzz Bands LA. The lineup, starting at noon Saturday, is: Holly Conlan, Francisco the Man, Vanaprasta, the Fling, Chasing Kings, Useless Keys, Milo Greene and Butch Walker & the Black Widows. Donations will be accepted for the Pablove Foundation.
- He’s My Brother She’s My Sister, Olin & the Moon and Manhattan Murder Mystery will be part of the grand opening of the new What Cheer? Bar (3213 Beverly Blvd.), part of festivities that include the Black Apples, FIDLAR, Stringfellow Hawks, Downtown Train and more (including a DJset from Jacob Safari of Wavves). Details here.
- The Growlers are doing a 5 p.m. in-store at Amoeba on Saturday – and they’re playing the Nomad Gallery downtown at 9 that night.
- Tapes N’ Tapes will play the Satellite as part of Stone Darling’s residency at the Satellite on Monday.
- Echo Park businesses are getting into the mix too. CANCELED On Saturday, the Damselles and the TC4 are playing Stories Books and Cafe. (Pygmy Shrews and Vaz have in-stores at nearby Origami Vinyl, where Barrio Tiger has confirmed a show at Origami Vinyl. On Sunday, Manhattan Murder Mystery plays at Origami Vinyl and the Black Apples play at Shop E.P.I.C.
- Milo Greene will play at 11 p.m. Saturday at the Hotel Cafe.
- Carina Round will play at 10 p.m. Sunday at the Hotel Cafe. The Rescues have been added at 9 p.m.
- As part of R Bar’s “Boozapaloozacon,” Junction evacuees Marvelous Toy and the Broken Numbers Band are playing Saturday night, with more bands possibly being added during the day.
- Peaches will do her DJ at Freak City on Sunday, LA Weekly’s Lina Lecaro reports.
- Cinderella Motel will play a matinee/early evening show Saturday at Lot 1 Cafe. Time TBA.
- El Cid’s scheduled shows apparently will go on. (If you’re not one of the locals boycotting El Cid.)
- A house party on Edgecliffe will feature the Damselles and the TC4, Manhattan Murder Mystery, One Trick Pony and others.
- The Damselles will also be playing Bardot on Friday night with the Mo-ods.
- Hanson’s publicist reports that the band will not do a show this weekend but will look to add a makeup L.A. date later in their tour.
More to come