Indie rock, benefits and more:
‣ Two of the night’s biggest shows are benefits – the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ gig at Club Nokia (for the Silverlake Conservatory of Music) and Fiona Apple at Largo (for the Littlest Tumor Foundation, a neurofibromatosis charity).
‣ Meiko warms up for a big September tour with a date on her home turf, the Hotel Cafe.
‣ Brooklyn garage-rockers Obits (pictured) hit the Satellite behind their new album “Moody, Standard and Poor,” and Chicago quartet Disappears (featuring Brian Case of the Ponys, with Sonic Youth’s Steve Shelley on drums) open.
‣ Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside bring their rockabilly/blues/soul stew to the Echo, where the estimable Eleni Mandell opens.
‣ And Mad Planet brings a batch of new songs to the Viper Room.
Taylor Swift at Staples Center
Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club at the Hollywood Bowl
Powerman 5000 at the Key Club
Kone at Low End theory at the Airliner
Peter Pants at the Smell
Roman Candle Wars at the Silverlake Lounge
Keegan DeWitt’s free in-store at Origami Vinyl
Gabby Young and Other Animals’s free in-store at Amoeba Music
The M.I.D.S. at Harvard & Stone
Jarrett Killen at the Mint
Blaise Smith and Therapy Session (acoustic) at Lot 1 Cafe
Screening of “Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life” at the Bootleg Theater, followed by a performance from Penelope Fortier
GZA at the Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa